For Evan Burl fans, There’s a lot to be Excited About in the Next 6 Months.
by Justin Blaney
Part 1 and 2 of Evan Burl and the Falling released in January
As noted in a previous post, I’m combining part 1 and 2 of Evan Burl’s series into a single book. We’re going to do a huge launch (hopefully huge, with your help it will be) on January 9, 2014.
For those of you waiting for book two (I love you!), you might be disappointed with the amount of new material in this book. It depends on what version you read last. The easiest way to know is looking at the chapter count. The book being published in January will have about 66 chapters. If your version has less than 66 chapters, there will be some new stuff in that final version for you. If your version already has 66 chapters, there probably won’t be much new until the new Book Two comes out down the road. Even if you have read a 66 chapter version, the new version will be all shiny and edited and worth downloading a new free ebook when it launches.
The reason for this confusion is there are at least 5 different versions of Evan Burl. I’ve been adding new material to book one since December, 2012 to test it with a public audience. In fact, the book available on Amazon right now is actually the combined version of 1 and 2.
If you have already finished any version of Evan Burl, I recommend waiting until the final launch in January. I’m doing a ton of work editing it down and adding details that I think will make the book even more enjoyable.
If you haven’t read any version of Evan Burl yet, I’d love to have you pick up a free copy at evanburl.com/download and give me some feedback to incorporate into the final release. I’m actively seeking feedback on this advanced reader version and your input will make a huge difference in the quality of the final book.
Thanks for your patience with the number of revisions and confusion. I’m planning to explain more about why I’ve released so many versions in a future post that discusses a new take on the philosophy of today’s publishing world.
Amazon shopping spree and book giveaway
To celebrate the launch of Evan Burl in January, I’m giving away 10 signed books and an Amazon shopping spree (at least $250, maybe more). I planning tons of ways to get more entries in the giveaway like downloading the free ebook, joining this mailing list, writing a review and sharing the giveaway on Facebook. If you’ve already done any of those things, don’t worry, you’ll automatically be entered. This contest is for you so if you have any ideas for how to run it better, please leave a comment!
And if you want to share our contest with your friends now, all they have to do to enter is download the book. Here are some links: Twitter, Facebook and email. Thanks! Blog tour
I hope to get Evan Burl reviewed and have our giveaway featured by 100 blogs. If you’re a blogger or know one, please let me know! I’m also planning to do some Facebook parties, but have no idea what I’m doing. If you want to help out, email me or leave a comment. I don’t know much about blog tours and release parties, but I know they’re important to getting the word out and would love your help if you have some experience.
Along with the release of Evan Burl in January, I’m planning a kickstarter campaign to print several thousand hardbacks. I have several goals for this campaign that I think are really exciting.
1. With your help, I want to donate 1000 copies of the book to libraries around the world to encourage reading, especially with young men, and increase awareness for issues related to fatherlessness.
2. I love small, independent book stores and want to support them by printing a high enough volume to keep our prices low. In today’s publishing world (even Barnes and Nobel is bleeding money) small, independent bookstores need our support more than ever. Together, we can ensure that we always have inviting, comfortable places to browse and discover great new books! Plus, book stores smell great. The world just wouldn’t be the same without them.
3. In addition to donating copies to libraries, I hope to see Evan Burl used by reading groups to stimulate conversations around the social and personal issues brought up in this novel. As part of the kickstarter, I plan to release support materials and make highly discounted books available to make participation affordable. (the ebook will be free, but not everyone can afford an ereader).
4. Wonder what Evan Burl’s world looks like? (Sometimes, I do too) I’m planning to work with a great artist based here in Seattle to develop a series of original digital canvases which could be included in the hardback version.
5. 10% of the proceeds from the kickstarter will be donated to support at risk youth and orphans.
6. Promoting and participating in the kickstarter will also earn entries to the Amazon shopping spree giveaway.
You may not know that I own a video production studio, which pays for my writing habit. I’m planning to get our whole production team involved in something special for Evan’s book trailer and can’t wait to share it with you. Look for the trailer to be released around the first part of September.
Book two progress reports
Starting in 2014, I plan to release regular progress reports on how work is going with the next book in Evan Burl’s tale. This was originally going to be book three in the series, but because I combined books one and two into the new Evan Burl and the Falling, this will be the currently-unnamed, book two. No release date is planned yet, but you’ll be the first to hear as soon as I know.
About this blog
Over the next six months, I’ll continue to update you on launch activities. I also have a few other writing projects I think you might find interesting, including an illustrated children’s book called Isfits, and plan to share more about those projects in the future. That said, I don’t want this to be some kind of continuous commercial for all my junk. If you ever have any ideas for something interesting you’d like to read about here, let me know. I’ll also be on the hunt for content to write about that I think you’ll find interesting. Thanks for being along for the ride as we figure this blogging/writing/publishing thing out together!
That’s it for now. I’ll be in touch.
PS, if you want to let any of your friends know how to get a free copy of Evan Burl, I’ve made it easy with these links: Twitter, Facebook and email.
About the author
Justin Blaney is the #1 bestselling author of Evan Burl and the Falling. He’s a blogger at JustinBlaney.com and I4J.org, the creator of Isfits, and a film producer with Inkliss. He lives outside Seattle with his wife and three daughters. Connect with Justin on Facebook, Twitter or Youtube.
My father abandoned me when I was an infant.
My friends have turned against me.
My uncle beats me.
The most powerful men in the world want me dead.
They all have one thing in common.
They think I’m turning into a monster.
I’m starting to worry they’re right.
Genre - Young Adult
Rating – PG